World-Wide Web Policy
The following policy statement and statement of copyright applies to the
distribution of the material on the World Wide
Web that is made available by the Central Bureau
for Astronomical Telegrams
and Minor Planet Center (MPC)
is freely available, but many
of the CBAT/MPC webpages are available only through a paid subscription):
- Copyright exists in all original material (i.e., nearly everything) on
the CBAT/MPC/ICQ pages. Material that does not originate with
CBAT/MPC/ICQ will be clearly marked.
- You should never assume that material on the WWW is in the public
domain, unless this fact is clearly stated.
- Some Circulars are made freely-accessible at this site only under the
following specific non-negotiable licence (which is subject to
amendment at any time):
- The IAU Circulars and CBETs remain a copyrighted
publication of the IAU's Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams;
only the older CBAT publications are available freely (more recently
published IAUCs and CBETs are available only to paying subscribers).
- The Minor Planet Electronic Circulars remain a copyrighted
publication of the IAU's Minor Planet Center.
- Circulars are for your personal individual scientific use only.
- Redistribution of the circulars posted on this web site is not
permitted in any form.
- Circulars are not freely distributable.
- Specifically, circulars must not be redistributed to Usenet
newsgroups or to e-mail lists.
- Libraries and institutions that wish to forward circulars to internal
mailing lists must continue to have a
subscription and to receive the
circulars via e-mail.
- Circulars must not be posted on your own publically-available Web
pages. If you wish to refer to a circular from your own page,
read these instructions.
- Subscribing libraries and institutions may post circulars on
private Web pages accessible only from within the library or
institution, althought you are encouraged to point to the
circulars on our site.
- Such postings may not include circulars that were
issued before a subscription was started, or circulars that
were not e-mailed to you (i.e., you may not post the
OCR'd IAUCs that are
currently being computerized).
- Any free availability of Circulars at this site is on a trial basis
and is subject to withdrawal at any time without warning.
- Data files, whether freely-available (such as the MPCORB orbit
database) or via subscription (such as the databases of observations), are
also copyrighted entities. Subscription datasets are for your own personal
scientific use and must not be redistributed in any form. Freely-available
datasets may be redistributed as long as the source for the data is
- Selected information extracted from this circulars or this web site
may be occasionally (NOT regularly) used in publications, whereby
actual quoting of no more than one or two sentences (or paraphrasing)
is used, if appropriate reference to the
source of the information is acknowledged.
If you wish to republish material that is attributed to someone outside
CBAT/MPC, you must seek
permission from the person attributed as the source.
- The blanket extraction of all or most material appearing on all or
most circulars is not permitted.
- Inclusion of circulars or web pages in products of any description
(including, but not limited to CD-Roms and magazines), whether or not a
charge is made for the product, is strictly prohibited unless express
written permission has been obtained in advance.
- These pages may be freely pointed to from your own personal pages. You
should not copy pages to your own Web site. Many of our pages are
updated frequently and it is confusing if there are out-of-date
copies at other sites.
- Pages and images on our site MUST NOT be inlined at your site (for
example, enclosed in a frame residing on your site). Your pages and
the links therein to our site must be designed with this restriction
Here is a feedback form
Back to the CBAT/MPC/ICQ index
or the credits page.